> Sustainability at Florblanca – Conservation & Community
Sustainability at Florblanca – Conservation & Community
In Part II of our blog series, Sustainability at Florblanca, we’ll address our efforts at Conservation and Community Interaction. Our Part I post discussed Analysis, Training, Recycling, and Waste Management. Those efforts combined with our conservation resources and our interaction with the community helped to earn us the Certificate of Sustainable Tourism from the Costa Rica Tourist Board.
At our first CST evaluation, Florblanca earned 4 out of a possible 5 leaves. We are set to be evaluated again and are eager for that 5th leaf! We’ve made great strides in our conservation and community outreach efforts which help qualify our resort as an eco-friendly tourist destination.
Conservation Resources – The management and staff at Florblanca use materials, resources, and strategies that are proven to save energy and cut back on waste:
- Natural Light
- Energy Efficient Light Bulbs
- Eco-Friendly Air Conditioning Equipment
- Conservation Awareness
- Linens and Towel Conservation
- Water Conservation
- Electric Cars
- Natural Resources
- Turtle Nesting
- Natural Drainage
- Eco-Friendly Grounds Tour
- Bio-Degradable Cleaning and Packaging
Interaction with the Community – Our commitment to Santa Teresa and the surrounding Costa Rica communities is a reflection of our belief in the value of a strong local community and that environmental, economic, and social sustainability truly starts at home. Here are some ways we’ve been involved in our community recently:
- Provided Soccer Uniforms for Bello Horizonte Community.
- Donated Money for Christmas Presents
- Provided a Community Bulletin Board for Events and Activities
- Helped to Organize Events for the Community
- Offered Open Space for Cultural Lessons
- Offered Certified Organic Coffee, Tea, and Produce
- Offered Free Range and Local Chicken, Pork, and Fish at Nectar Restaurant
Pursuing these strategies for sustainability not only benefits our resort, our guests, our community, and the environment, but it is also rewarding work that makes us feel good and boosts morale among our entire staff. We love being an eco-friendly Costa Rica resort and know that we are on a path that will carry us far into the future. Thank you to our staff, community, and guests for making this possible!